The organizers of the 2018 O Scale National Convention are taking all steps to help you, the dealers, be successful. Our organizing committee has drawn on past experience running highly successful O Scale National Conventions, as well participating in many large train shows across the country.
Our objectives are twofold. First, we are seeking to draw a large crowd of model railroaders and newbies to the hobby. We have traveled coast-to-coast promoting this show – and not just among O Scalers, but hobbyists from all scales. So, expect newbies at the show and be available to help them adopt O Scale with tips and equipment for beginners.
Second, we have selected the Rockville Hilton because it is centrally located in the Washington, DC metro area, offers excellent parking, and is very user friendly to you the dealers.
There are two large rooms for dealers and up to 5 overflow rooms (see the rooms in yellow on the diagram below). Tables will be assigned on a first reserved – first placed basis; and orders for 5 or more tables will get preferred placement. We can only guarantee that electricity will be available to tables along the walls. The table layouts and additional options for electricity are preliminary until we get the blessing of the fire marshal. So, get your reservations in early!
The trading halls will be open to attendees from noon on Thursday August 23, through end of the day on Saturday August 25, and, of course, dealer-to-dealer trading anytime the halls are accessible.
After hours, the foyer (in blue) will be locked and, therefore, access to the trading halls will be secured. Clinic rooms are in green.
Other features are as follows:
- Dealer tables are $55 each.
- Tables are 6′ x 30” (72” x 30”)
- One convention registration is included per each 5 tables (i.e., 1 for 5, 2 for 10, etc.)
- All facilities are on the ground floor – no elevators; just roll in, roll out.
- This is a non-union facility; you can handle your own merchandise.
- You can provide table covers, if desired.
- Free parking for cargo trailers has been arranged with the hotel.
- Electricity is available along the walls (bring your extension cord).
Dealer set-up begins at noon on Wednesday August 22, and a second dealer set-up begins at 8 am on Thursday August 23. The halls open for sales at noon on Thursday.
We are preparing ample signage to direct attendees to all trading halls. Clinic attendees will pass by the trading halls on their way to/from clinics. We will try to guarantee traffic in all trading rooms because we will raffle door prizes with each pre-registered attendee getting a daily door prize ticket. The door prizes for that day will be staged, one each in every trading hall. The convention goers will have to visit each room to see all of that day’s door prizes and deposit his ticket in the bowl for the prize he wishes to win. The next day the prizes change and process repeats.
We are providing the following amenities for dealers, including:
- A gratis reception Wednesday evening (with cash bar).
- After the reception, a special dealers-only session at Dave Vaughn’s layout. You can see portions of John Armstrong’s layout now incorporated into Dave’s.
- Morning coffee Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- The layout tours on Thursday and Friday begin after the trading halls have closed. This means that you will get a chance to see the layouts.
Layout of the Convention
Preliminary Layout Roosevelt/Madison Room
Preliminary Layout – Eisenhower Room
Entrance at the top and left
Typical Layout – Overflow Room (1 of 5)